Quinoa Black Bean Salad
Today I'm sharing a quinoa black bean dish that is perfect for vegans but easy to transform for omnivores. It's full of plant-based protein and delicious served on a bed of steamed kale and topped with some avocado slices.
Easy to add some shredded lite Mexican cheese for a vegetarian eater in the house or grilled chicken, shrimp or steak for the meat-eaters.
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 15oz can black beans, drained & rinsed, pat dry
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 1/3 red onion diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 Tbs. + 1 tsp. Trader Joe's Chile Lime Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 lime, juiced
- Optional: avocado slices, shredded lite cheese, lime wedges, nonfat sourcream or nonfat greek yogurt, grilled chicken, shrimp or steak
Add 2 cups water and 1 cup quinoa to pot, cover, bring to boil and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Let sit for 5 min. Meanwhile drain beans and add to bowl with diced pepper and onion. Add cooked quinoa and mix well. Add spices and lime juice and combine.
Serve warm with cheese or avocado slices.