Lately I have been obsessed with acai bowls. They are super simple to make but feel decadent and luxurious for breakfast. I'm sharing a super simple way to make an acai base and you can add any toppings you desire. My favorite combo is sliced banana & strawberries, a dollop of peanut butter, and Dang Salted Cacao Coconut Chips.
Acai Bowl Base
- 1 Acai frozen pack (I like Sambazon brand - buy the unsweetened version in the frozen fruit area of your grocery store - Whole Foods definitely has them and other stores may carry them in your area)
- Coconut water - 1/2 cup (you may need 1 cup if your protein powder scoop is large)
- Frozen blueberries - 1 cup
- 1 scoop plant based vanilla protein powder (I like Garden of Life or Tone It Up powders)
- Optional: 1 tsp maca powder (I love adding this superfood for an energy burst)
- Optional: additional sweetener like agave or honey (1 tsp)
- Toppings: bananas, strawberries, blueberries, watermelon,kiwi, cacao nibs, coconut flakes, coconut chips, chocolate savings, drizzle of sweetener, nut butter, hemp seeds
Start by placing wrapped acai pack in a glass of room temp water and let it thaw slightly. You want it still icy but slightly melted. Cut off the top of plastic wrap and dump acai pieces into your blender. (I use my Nutri-Bullet.) Add 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, 1 scoop protein powder, 1/2 cup coconut water and optional sweetener.
Blend on high speed. You will probably need to stop and shake your blender or remove lid and stir contents a few times to blend properly. The acai pieces will be the last to blend. If need be, add a splash of water, but add additional liquid cautiously: you don't want it so thin that it becomes a smoothie. (Although if it becomes a smoothie, it will still be amazingly delicious! Just grab a straw.) :)
Once your base is fully blended you can use as is or add another 1/2 cup frozen blueberries to thicken the base even more. (I prefer my base extra thick so I add the additional berries!)
Pour into bowl. Add toppings. Enjoy!
Comment below with what toppings you used and tag me on Instagram @thepositivethread with your creation!